We have all been there… You’ve checked in for your flight at the counter and you walk toward the TSA line. The line is already a mile long, you’re reading the signs that tell you what you cannot bring through and how to get through TSA faster and it seems like they are mocking you with their “tips”. How can you really get through TSA and the airport without all the pain you ask?
1) Be Prepared!
Think about TSA when packing and getting dressed to go to the airport! Unless you are over 70 years old or have TSA pre-check you will have to remove your shoes, belt, jacket and any jewelry that will trigger the metal detector. You will also have to empty your pockets. Here are my tips for breezing through the TSA line
- Wear shoes that are easy to slip on and slip off
- If you don’t have to wear a belt.. don’t – If you do wear a belt, go ahead and remove it before you reach the check point
- Other than sentimental pieces such as a wedding ring, pack the jewelry in your carry on and put it on after you land at your destination
- Remove any coat or jacket you have on prior to reaching the check point
- Before you leave home, make sure any liquids in your purse or carry on are 3 ounces or less and you have them all in a plastic baggie
- If you are taking a laptop on the plane with you, pack it at the top if your carry on or make sure it is easily accessible to remove and place back into your bag.
- Check your pockets and purse before leaving home, make sure you do not take your pocket knives, mace or other small defense weapons with you by accident. Also, smokers should pack a small book of matches because your lighter will be thrown out if you take it through the TSA check point.
- Make sure your family, friends and children are all prepared for the check point as well.
- Once you go through the scanners, take your items to the nearest bench to put your clothing back on and re-pack your laptop or other items. Don’t hold up the line.
- Get TSA Pre-Check for $85 (5 year membership) and skip all of the hassle!
2) Get TSA Pre-Check
Want to skip all the drama and the long lines? Get TSA Pre-check for $85 and you can avoid going through removing your shoes, jacket, laptop and liquids at the check point. $85 covers five years and for those of you who travel frequently or travel with small children you will find this to be your airport saving grace!
3) Find Your Gate BEFORE You Stop To Shop & Eat
The airport is very crafty making you walk through all the shops and restaurants before you get to your gate! Airports such as DFW even have spas/salons and fine dining to keep you comfortable while you wait for your flight. Sometimes we get a little too comfortable and time slips by us and we find ourselves running and hunting for our gate (like a scene from Home Alone!). Before you stop, drop and shop…. roll on over to your gate and become familiar with what is around it. If time slips you by… you already know where to go!